Tomorrow officially marks the first day of fall. Summer 2017 is one that I’ll never forget. And while I didn’t check everything off my “Summer Bucket List,” it was a great summer.
Here are some of the highlights of the past few months:
- Memorial Day Weekend at OIB (AKA my last sips of wine for a long time – little did I know that I was pregnant)
- Finding out I was pregnant the Tuesday after Memorial Day
- Pizza Sundays
- Logan’s wedding weekend at Lake Norman
- Long 4th of July weekend at OIB
- Ice Cream Date at the beach
- Reading SO many books…
- “Two by Two” by Nicholas Sparks
- “The Sunshine Sisters” by Jane Green
- “Secrets in Summer” by Nancy Thayer
- “I’ve Got Sand in All the Wrong Places” by Lisa Scottoline and Francesca Serritella
- “On Mystic Lake” by Kristin Hannah
- “Distant Shores” by Kristin Hannah
- “Another Piece of My Heart” by Jane Green
- “Night Road” by Kristin Hannah
- “True Colors” by Kristin Hannah
- Telling the “world” our exciting news about Baby Watson
- A “last” beach weekend, just the two of us
- An incredible 34th birthday dinner at Crawford and Son in Raleigh
- Getting the ball rolling on some home renovations (I’m beyond excited about my new “office nook” and a screened in back porch)
- Our Gender Reveal Party
Honestly the summer flew by and it’s hard to believe we’re almost done with September! And while the “summer” temperatures will probably stick around for a while, I’m really excited for what the fall and winter have in store.
This past Sunday, Big Guy and I said our “final farewell” to summer with a very summery pizza. I’ve been wanting to make this pizza ALL summer long and when I saw some pretty red organic strawberries at the grocery store, I knew it was a sign.
Even though strawberries aren’t in season here, this was quite possibly my favorite pizza that we made ALL summer. The pizza is topped with ricotta cheese plus lots of mozzarella and then comes the fun toppings: fresh strawberries, bacon and caramelized onions (that were caramelized in bacon fat!). The cooked pizza was finished with a sprinkle of fresh herbs, oregano and basil. This strawberry pizza TOTALLY hit the spot and I could not get over the flavor. Sweet and savory. Super cheesy. Crunchy bacon. And rich caramelized onions.
I definitely suggest you keep this pizza recipe for next May when strawberries are ripe and you can buy them local.